Unaware that she would awaken to the popping sounds of an electrical line, which would soon turn into a terrible fire and completely demolish her home, a 12-year-old girl went to bed. The young child gained notoriety by acting bravely to save her cousins and siblings.
Life often takes us by surprise in unexpected ways. Sometimes unexpected surprises make us grin, and other times they put us in a fight-or-flight situation where we have to act quickly to avoid further consequences.
Our story’s heroine, a 12-year-old girl, astounded everyone by acting like an adult in the face of a life-threatening fire. People praised her for her bravery and fast thinking after learning what had occurred in her home earlier that day.
When Deysi Garza Aguirre went to sleep in her Clinton, Oklahoma home on a Friday night, she had no idea how her life would change the next day. While her siblings, cousins, and aunt slept in other rooms, she drifted off on a sofa.
Aguirre was startled awake by an odd popping noise on July 23, 2022, in the early morning hours. When she got to her feet, she realized it was coming from a nearby electrical cord. The 12-year-old began turning off all the electrical outlets while the other occupants of her home were asleep when she realized things were out of hand.
The young girl then witnessed something that would cause many people to panic, yet she opted to remain composed and handle the situation. She observed fire devouring her couch, side table, and other pieces of furniture as she turned off the electricity to her home’s outlets.
When Aguirre saw the flames, she yelled her aunt’s name. Her family, who were sleeping in the house’s back rooms, was all she could think of. Aguirre remembered:
“I don’t know what I was thinking, but I just wanted to get them out,” the speaker said.
Her brothers, cousin, and aunt gradually exited the house as they watched the flames spread to every nook and cranny of their house. Aguirre hurried to a neighbor’s home and dialed 911 in the meanwhile.
The entire neighborhood was focused on the fire. Firefighters arrived to put out the fire that had consumed the entire house a short time after Aguirre dialed 911. Aguirre and her family had no idea where they would move after realizing they couldn’t stay in their home.
The aunt, siblings, and cousins of Aguirre were grateful to her for getting them out of the house on time, nevertheless. Things would have been far worse if she had ignored the sounds of the spark. According to a representative of the Clinton Fire Department:
“She is a remarkable young lady. She is much older than her years.”
Aguirre and her family were given permission to enter after the fire had been put out in order to view the wreckage. The whole furniture in their home, including the couch that Aguirre had slept on, was completely destroyed by fire. A few days later, she invited the crew from TV station Koco 5 to the residence, and she explained to them:
I was really near to the fire because I was sleeping directly here when it first started.
Although it hurt to see her home in ruins, Aguirre’s bravery grabbed the attention of the Clinton Fire Department. She received the Clinton Fire Department Award for Courage and Bravery, which they also shared on their Facebook page.
The opening line of the Clinton Fire Department’s Facebook post introduced Deysi Garza Aguirre as a hero and identified her as being 12 years old. They presented her with a trophy and showed images of Aguirre to her family, feeling proud of what she had accomplished. Furthermore, it stated:
“Their family is still intact, even though they may have lost their home.”
The 12-year-old saved her family from getting into a far worse scenario, and the fire department officials recognized this fact by awarding her for her efforts. Aguirre remarked after receiving so much adoration and gratitude:
The family requested clothing donations because the fire destroyed most of their home, including the cupboards.
The Clinton Fire Department posted a link to the family’s fundraising on their page because Aguirre’s parents were also seeking for a new place to live.
The Clinton Fire Department sent a list of sizes in response to a nice citizen’s request for clothing and shoe sizes and added that they were accepting contributions at the fire station.
After hearing about the unfortunate event, many offered their assistance to the Aguirre family in any way they could. Through the GoFundMe link, some people made financial contributions, while others offered the family shoes and clothing.
What steps would you take if you were in Aguirre’s shoes? Would you forgo a good night’s rest to investigate the popping noise? Do you consider what she did to be very noteworthy?
To read about an 8-year-old boy who assisted an elderly woman in walking up the steps after spotting her from a distance while sitting in his family’s car, click here.